Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fabulous Friends Wednesday - Laura from Along for the Ride

Hello friends, and welcome to another FABULOUS FRIENDS WEDNESDAY!   I'm thrilled to welcome Laura, from Along for the Ride.  Not only are her crafts just awesome, her blog is so inspiring and always brings a smile to my face.  Make sure to stop by her blog and say hi!


Hello Craft Envy Readers! I'm Laura from along for the ride.
Thank you so much to Nicholette and Vanessa for inviting me to guest post today!
So a little about me... I have been married to an incredible, handsome, handy man named Kyle for almost a year and we have a cute black kitty named Jupiter who, as I write this, is chasing a little felt mouse all around the apartment. I am a residence hall coordinator at a large state university and I love (almost) every minute of it. My main repsponsibilities are to supverise the RAs, talk to students when they make silly decisions (and you thought that was a good idea how??) and generally manage a hall of about 400 students. Learn more here. Also, we live in the hall- not in a dorm room, but in a really cute apartment that we've tried to make a home. I know this might sound crazy, but this is exactly what I wanted to do!
When I'm not mediating roommate conflicts or fixing leaky ceilings, I love spending every spare minute crafting! From jewelry to mod podge, stamping to sewing, I love it all!
One of my recent favorites has been making toliet paper roll napkin rings. It's a super-cheap, super-cute way to spruce up your table. I hope you love making them as much as I do!
So here's how to make toilet paper roll napkin rings (diet coke is optional).
Did you know that a roll of toilet paper is exactly 4 inches? I first tried to cut the roll using kitchen shears...this did not work very well. I then tried our new, fancy, expensive knives and it worked like a charm (don't tell my husband. I thought I was being resourceful...he would think otherwise.)
I cut four 1-inch rings.
I used plain old white ribbon from the dollar store to cover the rings. I put a dollop of hot glue on the inside and started wrapping.
At first, I glued the ribbon down periodically. I don't suggest this. It worked much better when I just wrapped them in one big swoop.
Now I had four white rings...but I wasn't impressed. I took some thick black ribbon and wrapped it around the outside of the rings.
Perfect!
I host a blog party every Saturday called "Saturday is Crafty Day." I'd love it you linked up!
I hope you stop by soon and check out my other projects at along for the ride!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails